Tuesday, June 24

Comfort Food.

My comfort food is Chips, Ice Cream and all things chocolate for the time being. But what were the comfort foods when I was young girl?

I remembered my parents and granny will not buy Chips or ice cream or chocolates for me when I was much younger because all these are unhealthy food. And to my mom especially, chocolates is a big no no as the chinese believe it to be heaty and leading to all other kinds of childhood sickness.

Hence, one of the common snack that was allowed to me was Biscuits.

This got to be my all time favorite biscuits, the Tasty Biscuit Sticks. In fact, there has been almost zero changed to the packaging except for the sizing. Both the small and big packs come in the same way! Orangey background with sticks of biscuits on it. It’s the same when I ate it as a young girl and now when I’m eating it as a woman in my twenties! I have no idea why I like it so much. But I just like it. It used to come in half size and costs about 40 cents? The only size I see now are all the big packs. I still munch on them even till now, that's more than 20 years of eating the same biscuits and still not sick of it.

Another of my favorite is this. Gilco Pretz Biscuits Stick. I remembered it as it is. The exact girl on the white box munching on the biscuit sticks. Of course, it has since evolved to other newer and more attractive packaging. But somehow, the girl seems more familiar and tastier.

The tasty is still available in the same packaging in stores and NTUC, I get my fix from them every so often. The old school Pretz is no longer available on the shelves but what is available are all the new flavors of Pretz that comes in fanciful flavors and I must say, pretty expensive too!

I’ve enjoyed it for so long since a child that I took it for granted that it’ll always be available. What I did not know was, both biscuits are manufactured in Japan! All along I thought this cheapo looking biscuits are local products. I was wrong!

I guess, I can only say, I have high tastes from young ya? Fancy only eating Japanese products at that young age already.

And I guess, as I grow older and older, I begin to appreciate the finer things in life....From cheapskate Glico Pretz sticks, I’ve also upgraded to fanciful sticks with assorted chocolates or nuts. From Mac, I’ve moved on to Subway.

And tomorrow evening, the lunchtime kaki and I will be going for a nice sumptuous dinner in Ma Maison at Central, where it’s Japanese fusion food. I’m looking forward to it, definitely!

I guess, comfort food will never ever be replaced, there’s always something that will bring me back and remind me of childhood days.

But there’s also always room to try out new food and to let it be a comfort food too! =P

No comments: